Thursday, June 2, 2011

First Day of Summer Semester

      Yesterday and today are orientation days for the summer semester so I got to some of my new students. There is a batch of kids that comes Monday,  Wednesday, Friday and a batch of kids that comes Tuesday/Thursday.  I don't know if you can use the word batch to describe a group of kids or not? Perhaps I should know considering I am teaching English. It makes me think of my mom's home made chocolate chip cookies that are oh so sweet and delicious. Luckily, the first impression that I got from most of my kids is that they are pretty sweet as well.
     The one class that is going to be VERY hard for me is called Little Avalon. The Little Avalon students are in first and second grade and their English skills are SUPER basic. Yesterday it was very difficult to get any sort of discussion with them and to communicate the classroom rules to them. Also they are very young and very hyper.  I left that classroom feeling very frustrated and like a horrible teacher, which wasn't great because it was my first class of the day. Luckily my other two classes had more advanced English skills and those went very well.  I just keep telling myself to be patient and that no one is a great teacher on their very first day. I want to do well at my job and I want to help the student's learn so I will just keep trying to improve.
       On a totally different note, last night after work I stopped off at a convenience store and bought a beer and drank it on my walk home, which is totally legal here. How awesome! The only downside is that Korea has several types of beer that they make but they pretty much all taste like miller or miller light.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if you have access to computers (with speakers) for your little guys, but if you do look at www.star fall.com; it's a phonics site with audio and basic books. Great for beginners. I wish you were closer so I could give you some of my materials, but it would cost me a fortune to ship them!

    ReplyDelete